1 cup sifted, all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 Tbsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup half and half cream
¼ cup melted butter (shortening will work)
¼ cup honey
¼ cup sugar
1. Preheat oven to 400° F.
2. Sift together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt.
3. Combine the half and half, eggs, fat, honey and sugar.
4. Thoroughly grease and flour a 9" × 9" baking pan (or use a nonstick baking pan or a flexible silicone pan).
5. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ones and mix just until the flour is moistened. (No more than 10-15 seconds) Is ok if batter is lumpy, its supposed to look that way.
6. Once the liquid and dry ingredients have been combined, pan and bake the cornbread immediately. Can grease pan with bacon drippings, like my grandmother used to do. SHE made the very best cornbread i ever had.
7. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out clean and the edge of the bread starts to separate from the pan.
Feel free to add fresh or canned corn, buttermilk, bacon, sour cream, or a little creamed corn.